A year ago, Yvonne came to my groundbreaking party in Napa. She had just gotten her nails done, and she said to me, “This is a Groundbreaking Party, right? I just got a manicure, but I thought it was important to get my hands in the dirt…you know…to break the ground. I am willing to sacrifice my manicure, and get some dirt under my nails!” And then she walked up the hill to the dig site (escort in tow), came back, and put her dirt-ridden, yet freshly manicured hand in mine…
I introduce to you an exhibit to be held this fall:
Live Your BRIGHTEST Life: A Tribute to Yvonne Porcella
Whether you knew her or knew of her, Yvonne Porcella was one of the brightest lights in the quilt world.
Yvonne unabashedly loved color, whimsy, and was a person of incredible strength and fortitude. Having founded Studio Art Quilts Associates, exhibited in countless exhibits worldwide (including the Smithsonian), authored books, served on a number of boards, taught hundreds (possibly thousands) of students, she embraced every challenge with strength, wit, and humor. Not even a diagnosis of Stage 4 cancer, which she fought for six years, could slow her down.
Yvonne was a class act, and she knew what it meant to really live.
“Live Your BRIGHTEST Life: A Tribute to Yvonne Porcella” will be a featured art quilt exhibit hosted by Pokey Bolton at “Quilting in the Garden” at Alden Lane Nursery in Livermore, CA, September 24-25, 2016. With fabric and thread, this is your opportunity to celebrate an amazing icon in the quilt world, and convey what living a bright life means to you.
As part of this exhibit, we are asking quilt makers to include a written tribute to Yvonne and share how she has influenced your art our touched your life–whether you met her in person or not. This entry will be placed in a book and given to Yvonne’s family.
Quilt Entry Specifics:
- Quilt Size: 18”(W) x 26″ (H) (You may submit up to two entries.)
- Must include a sleeve for hanging and your information on the back.
- 2 narratives: 1) Narrative explaining your quilt. 2) A tribute to Yvonne to be placed in a book for her family.
- Digital Images (72 DPI) and accompanying narratives due: August 6, 2016, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject to read: YVONNE PORCELLA ENTRY
- You will be notified by August 12, 2016 regarding inclusion and given shipping instructions.
- The quilt must be received by September 9, 2016 in order to be included in this exhibit.
You are invited to have your quilt for sale, all proceeds to go to her founding organization, Studio Art Quilt Associates.
Cheers to Yvonne, our collective, incredible mentor and friend…